Compression therapy is a common and effective form of treatment and prevention for individuals with a wide array of conditions. It is commonly associated with varicose veins, but compression products and devices can help many people. Below we will talk about what compression therapy is, who needs, it and the benefits of this type of treatment.
What Is Compression Therapy?
Compression therapy uses the technique of controlled pressure to increase blood flow in your legs. It helps to improve blood flow to your heart, support your veins and decrease swelling in your lower extremities. Compression therapy can help people improve their quality of life. It is an effective form of treatment for a variety of medical conditions.
Who Needs Compression Therapy?
There are a variety of medical conditions where compression therapy can significantly improve your comfort and condition. Here are the common conditions treated with compression therapy:
- Edema: This is when fluid collects in the legs and causes swelling. It can be caused by prolonged sitting or standing, lymphedema, and varicose veins.
- Chronic venous insufficiency (CVI): This is one of the most cited conditions for the use of compression therapy. This condition is common in people who are obese, pregnant, have blog clots, varicose veins and other injuries.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT): This is when blood clots form in one of the veins in your leg.
- Leg ulcers: This is common in diabetics. These are open sores on the leg. Compression stockings can help protect the area, reduce swelling, and prevent it from coming back.
Compression therapy is also used by athletes to reduce swelling and prevent inflammation after activity. Compression sleeves, stockings and other devices can reduce soreness, reduce the risk of clotting, and promote active recovery.
What Are the Benefits of Compression Therapy?
Compression therapy is an effective for of treatment and a preventive measure for people with a variety of conditions. It provides a variety of benefits, such as the following:
- Improved blood flow
- Reduced swelling in the legs
- Preventing feelings of nausea or dizziness
- A reduced risk of blood clots
- Aiding in healing leg ulcers – and it can help prevent them from returning
- It is an effective treatment for varicose veins
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism for immobile people
The amount of compression can vary significantly. It can be adjusted based on the material used, how you move, and how strong the products are applied. Always check with your doctor to ensure you are using the correct medical compression products. You can also consult your pharmacist.
Compression Therapy Products
Appleby Pharmacy offers a selection of compression therapy products. Some of the items we carry at our pharmacy include:
- Compression socks
- Compression sleeves
- Compression wraps
- Compression bandages
You can also find compression shorts, arm sleeves, leggings, and compression pumps to help you with your condition.
Speak with our pharmacists about the compression therapy products that can help you with your specific health and wellness requirements. We are happy to help!